Editor, Switchback Travel
AllGear Digital is looking for a talented editor to join the Switchback Travel team, our leading online publication dedicated to outdoor gear guides and reviews. This position will start as a 40-hour, contact role with the potential to convert to a salaried, benefits-eligible position. This position is remote, and someone in Washington State is preferred. The expected compensation for this position is $55,000-$65,000 per year based on skills, experience and geographic location.
- An experienced editor with 2 or more years of professional editorial and writing experience. Given the technical nature of this position, we will only consider resumes that reflect this job history.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the outdoors and outdoor gear, including ultralight backpacking equipment, camp and ski gear, and/or mountain biking gear. We’re talkin’ full gear geekery here—participation in these sports is only part of the equation. If you can talk denier and fill weights, DIN ratings and ski waist widths, wheel sizes and carbon versus aluminum, we want to chat with you.
- An independent and resourceful self-starter who is excited about taking on intensive, multifaceted projects and long-form content. Comfortable working remotely, including access to reliable internet.
- Conscientious with a high attention to detail and knack for finding grammatical and factual errors.
- A quick learner with an adaptable style and willingness to take on a variety of esoteric and/or tedious projects (hopefully you’ll find them fun and interesting!). Ideally, you’re comfortable coordinating many moving parts at once and adapting to shifting priorities.
- Experienced in photography and able to take high-quality photos of the gear that you use in action.
- Fun-loving, a team player, and interested in becoming a part of our small but mighty gear-centric family.
Detailed gear guides are the bread and butter of what we do at Switchback Travel. We’re looking to expand our coverage with additional round-ups covering a range of categories, including ultralight backpacking gear, budget backpacking gear, camping gear, and more. Your job will be to learn our style and processes, test gear, and write these new articles based on your findings and experiences.
As a small team, we wear many hats. The ideal candidate will be expected to do a fair share of editing, participate in market research and site planning, edit photos and build pages, write in-depth gear reviews, and more.
Please send a resume, cover letter and relevant writing samples to email@example.com. We cannot respond to every application individually, but we will follow up with qualified candidates as quickly as possible. Thanks for your time!
About AllGear Digital:
At AllGear Digital, we strive to inform, educate, and entertain readers about the passions, products, and people that enrich their lives, with the goal of becoming the leading publisher of gear reviews and content for active lifestyle and the outdoors. We own and operate a diverse set of digital media brands, including GearJunkie, Switchback Travel, iRunFar, Bikerumor, The Inertia, ExplorersWeb, and other top names in their respective niches. We reach over 60 million readers annually. AllGear Digital is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all, both for the company and in their content.